Powered by Blogger.

Who Moved My Cheese?

Monday, April 26, 2010

I'll be the first to admit, when I saw that the 2010 CrossFit games would not longer be held in Aromas, CA I was disappointed. Ok, I was devastated. For the past year my life has more or less revolved around getting prepared to qualify for the games. My diet changed. My workouts intensified. I put in more hours at the box to improve strength and endurance. All with hopes of qualifying to compete at "The Ranch" in Aromas. See, "The Ranch" is a perfect example of why I fell in love with CrossFit. It exemplifies that homegrown, grassroots movement that makes CrossFit so unique. I never had the chance to compete or even spectate at Aromas, and to be honest, I feel a little bit cheated.


The new venue for the 2010 CrossFit games is the Home Depot Center (HDC) in Carson, CA. This is the same venue that has hosted the summer X-Games and the Warp Tour, just to name a couple. Needless to say, the HDC is no second rate facility. There will be locker rooms, concrete workout surfaces, showers, sky boxes for the fans, and no dusty hill of death to climb or places to pitch your tent or park your RV. For me, that's the problem. In fact, the games has actually lost some of it's appeal to many for those very reasons.
So where does all of this change leave us? Well, as CrossFit grows, becomes more corporate, and loses some of it's grassroots, homegrown feeling we too must change. We can complain, pout, and fuss about that change all we want but our negativity will fall on deaf ears. We will continue to love CrossFit and will learn to grow with it, or be left behind as it prospers and progresses even further. My goal: Compete at the fancy HDC, with or without the dusty hill, campers, or any of the other luxuries "The Ranch" had to offer.
cg
P.S. Read the book if you're curious about the title.






1 comments:

Kimberly Walling April 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

I've read that book. It's great

Post a Comment

About This Blog

CrossFit, Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, Sport Specific Training, CrossFit Games, Personal Training, Underground Training, Athletes, Bayou City CrossFit, Pin Up CrossFit, G6 Fitness

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP