Powered by Blogger.

Please Don't Stop the Music...

Friday, April 23, 2010

Music is powerful.

When you walk into BCCF you almost always hear music. It might be AC/DC, Lady Gaga, 2Pac, Rise Against, or any one of the hundreds of artists we hear every day. In fact, if you come in to BCCF and don't hear music it just seems like something is out of place! While some of us prefer the "old school" workout music like AC/DC, Metallica, and maybe a little Bon Jovi, others may like hearing some Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain, or some "kill, death, kill, hate, death" music. Regardless of your taste it seems as though we all want music during a WOD. Subsequently, I've come to the realization that the most common request at the box is not "hey, help me with my squat," or "can you show me that snatch again," or "what's a man-maker?" The most common request is usually "next song (being yelled)" or "MUSIC (yelling again)" when we don't like the song or the coach forgets to turn up the tunes. Why is this so important to us? I've heard a wide range of responses to that question:

1. It gets me pumped up, gets my blood flowing.
2. I move to the beat of the music, it keeps me going.
3. The louder the better, then I can't hear how hard I'm breathing.
4. I have to have music so I can't hear my knees crack and pop.
5. It helps block everything else out.

What I've come to find is that music is extremely powerful. Not only can it help us get ready for a brutal WOD or calm us down as we stretch or practice yoga, it has enormous effects on our lives outside of our fitness.

As most of you know I work as an administrator at a middle school here in Houston. Working with 12-15 year old kids on a daily basis can lead to stressful situations. Lately I've found myself migrating to the choir or piano room when I feel the stress and anxiety piling on. It only takes a few minutes of listening and watching these talented kids make music for me relax and put everything back into perspective. In addition, I recently noticed a trend in my life that became blatantly apparent just the other day. On my way to work each morning I find myself listening to KSBJ as it relaxes and soothes me a little bit. After work the button for 94.5 is pushed and I get my blood flowing a bit for CrossFit. None of it is done intentionally, it just seems to work out that way.

Think about it. Music is used to alter moods and personalities in numerous situations: relaxing music in yoga, massage, and acupuncture, pumped up music to introduce athletes prior to competition, or a little Barry Manilow to set the mood for a romantic evening :0). Okay, that was a stretch...but seriously, have you ever considered how much impact music has on your life?

cg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

CrossFit, Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, Sport Specific Training, CrossFit Games, Personal Training, Underground Training, Athletes, Bayou City CrossFit, Pin Up CrossFit, G6 Fitness

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP